Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is unmanaged VPS

Red face What is unmanaged VPS

A lot of users moving from shared web-hosting to a VPS prefer to rent an unmanaged VPS . They are receiving the VPS control panel details and passwords and it is most likely to end in a total confusion at this point . If you are used to the shared web-hosting environment and you are moving to a unmanaged VPS ,you should know that it will require some basic knowledge in unix/linux to use your VPS . Most of the unmanaged VPS`s are offered with variety of linux/unix (32/64bit) based operating systems , so the installation of software on the VPS will be through those operating systems . You will be provided with a command prompt/console in your VPS control panel or you can you use a third party software to manage your VPS . With third party software you also have to set and know your root password to be able to access the VPS . Through the command prompt/console you can install for example hosting control panels like cPanel , but please note that entire installation is through this command prompt and it will require some of the basic Linux commands to be executed . So before placing an order for a new unmanaged VPS , seek information on how you are going to use it . It is a good start to check this forum for such articles and I will be happy to help and guide everyone , who is moving to a unmanaged VPS for a first time . Do not hesitate to ask your questions .

RE: What is unmanaged VPS

Whew! That's a lot of technical term right there Max, but I'm beginning to understand how different an unmanaged VPS from a shared web-hosting. I was thinking that these two are actually identical. Basically, an unmanaged VPS is more complex when it comes to installation from a share web-hosting?

Yes mariesheila . With shared web-hosting every base software (cPanel/firewalls etc) is usually preinstalled and with unmanaged VPS you have to install everything by yourself . Setting up unmanaged VPS will require some additional knowledge and if you decide switching to unmanaged VPS at some point - I will be happy to help .

So I have to manually set up and install an unmanaged VPS. Yes, I would greatly appreciate your help on this Max. I may also need additional information on how it should be set up.

Moving into a VPS with unix format is difficult indeed, by the way Max, are you referring to one click installers when you said third party softwares can help us navigate or use the unmanaged VPS in unix? And if not, then you have to install the program one by one all by yourself tsk! But why would they transfer to a unmanaged VPS? what are the benefits of an unmanaged VPS that cannot be found in managed VPS?

Oh I see, why not use those one click installers for easy program installation. I would agree with you Apaullo.

Red face RE: What is unmanaged VPS

The benefit of purchasing unmanaged VPS is the lower price. You can have the same technical specifications, but at lower monthly costs. All ``one click installers`` can be used only in cPanel /other hosting control panel environment. However, your unmanaged VPS comes to you without any preinstalled software, so there will be no cPanel/other CP and you will be unable to use ``one click installers``. Once you have finished with the OS installation, you can install webhosting control panel and then you can use ``one click installers``. By third party software (in my first post), I was referring to alternatives to the VPS command console. Your VPS command console is located in the VPS control panel. The VPS control panel is not like cPanel or the other webhosting CP. The described control panel is providing you with VPS management functionality, like boot/restart/shutdown of your VPS, OS reinstalls, root password changes and of course the VPS command console. The most difficult and time consuming part is in the beginning of your VPS setup and once you have finished with the installation of OS`s and webhosting control panel, then everything is almost the same as in a normal shared webhosting environment. If you have more questions, you know what you have to do

So basically VPS is essential as it bridges the gap between shared hosting and dedicated hosting services as I see it based on the our discussion here and in the other threads. Hence it will also provide independence and flexibility of a dedicated hosting service, but at the price of a high-end shared hosting service. And for those web clients who already have consumed their shared web hosting services but can't quite afford a dedicated server, VPS hosting may be the best solution, right Max?

Having an unmanaged VPS is just like taking an exam with a subject that you did not review,IF you are a newbie :P, it is not advisable for a newbie to purchase unmanaged VPS, only the experienced Tech personnel can do that. And given you are a newbie, you have to hire someone to install the OS and especially the control panel which is I think the most difficult. Max, you said unmanaged VPS is cheaper, once you had it setup and it is running, can it be considered as managed VPS already? and will the subscription plan every month change or still the price of of the first month wherein it is still unmanaged?

As what I have learned VPS hosting is strongly recommended for experienced programmers and/or businesses that have a webmaster. VPS users can have complete control of the assigned servers