Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Managed Web Hosting

Red face What is Managed Web Hosting

As stated in the name , managed web-hosting is a web-hosting service which is completely or partially maintain by the service provider .

There is two types of Managed hosting .
    The first type is Fully Managed hosting and with this service your Website/VPS/Dedicated server are constantly monitored by experienced service provider employees . They are taking care for all hardware/software maintenance , updates and everything related to provided service .

The second type of Managed hosting is Semi(partially) Managed Hosting .
    With this type of hosting , you can expect only some of the managed hosting aspects to be handled from the providers staff . You must carefully read what the chosen provider is offering with their Semi Managed Hosting plan , so you will know what to expect afterwards .

Managed hosting services are good for small to middle sized company/firm websites and for new webmasters . Because of the extra work involved in providing Managed Hosting , the price is always higher than a regular hosting plan .

RE: What is Managed Web Hosting

Thanks Maximus for sharing the information about Managed Web Hosting.
    Do you think that Managed Web hosting is worth a buy?
    I have come across many people that are not willing to pay the extra cost for managed web hosting.

I think that Managed hosting is worth buying in situations , where the client does not have the required knowledge or time to maintain everything by himself . In those situations managed hosting services are the best solution . If you have the right skills and enough time , it is always better to manage the processes by yourself or by your company staff . That way , you can easily setup everything to work just like you want and you will probably have lower monthly expenses . Anyway , everything is too subjective and the decision is always based on the clients preferences.

Ah, I think those that can afford to hire these managed web hosting are only the ones that can also afford to buy a dedicated server for themselves. Those that deals with huge traffic and quota. As for the small and midsized company, it will be extra expenses if they have to hire the managed web hosting unless they are aiming to higher heights, I also agree that managed web hosting is advantageous to new webmasters with large capitals :P

Hey Apaullo . I can`t completely agree with you , because imagine that you have the required funds for renting managed VPS , but those funds usually are not enough for good dedicated server . So you can be just a regular client , regarding financial abilities , and you can afford to buy a managed VPS .However,things are different with dedicated servers and the difference in price between managed and unmanaged service there is really big .

Indeed the price difference of the managed and unmanaged in prices are huge, that is why for a starting small company can they really spare enough money to hire another personnel to manage their website for them? I mean, BEFORE they decide to take their company online, they will surely hire a tech personnel whose sole responsibility is to manage their website, why would they hire another managed web hosting personnel to work for them? Given they are on a shared web hosting type, since we gonna assume that they can't afford a good dedicated server, why would they hire another personnel? for security?

I agree with Maximus that managed web hosting is worth buying when the client is not adept with knowledge and has very limited time to spare in maintaining everything. Anyway, this will be an added asset to the company so why not invest in a good deal of Managed web hosting? Even if they hire an IT person to be assigned to manager their website I am sure that the returns will be abundant for the company. With the money that they are spending for managed web hosting, I believe it would still be worth the buy.

I agree with you both actually when investing on a managed web hosting, but I am thinking as the owner of a small company, still in its infancy and capital is scarce and budget tightening is a must. Why would I invest more in managed web hosting when I have an IT personnel whose sole duty is to manage and take care of the site? Unless there are some things that my hired IT can't do that the IT person of the company to manage my website can, is there? Max, Is there some services that the Managed web hosting can do that my IT can't when it comes to managing my site? I'm just curious, if there are then I would definitely hire a managed hosting personnel :P

It's like another level of expertise needed in circumstance like that Apaullo. I was also wondering if there are any other services that the IT experts can't do which can be done by a managed web host.

Not really on a different level Sheila, remember, the client is renting a 'space' to the web host, so I am thinking that the IT of the web host has like 100% control over the site since they are the owner of the web hosting while the IT of the client renting got like 80% control since they are only renting..i hope I got it right lols