Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits and future of Cloud Hosting

RE: Benefits and future of Cloud Hosting

What other web business would actually benefit most from using cloud hosting?

If the technology is weak on security, it will never be fully implemented and will not rise to its full potential, I am also watching out for Cloud hosting, its features and advanced services but you are also risking your data due to its weak security architecture. I still dependent to the old but proven security kind of hosting

Right! Security in all these web services is still the key!

We frequently read or hear people around us use the terms 'Cloud Computing,' 'Cloud Hosting' and Cloud Storage'. All the three phrases are confusing to me. Unfortunately, I don't know the basic differences of the three terms. I would be highly benefited and pleased if you explain the basic differences and their use.

Thanks

Hey Fkhanum, I will try to describe those 3 terms by my understanding and knowledge. An example for ``cloud computing`` is the remote desktop service. There are variety of ``cloud computing`` types, but I will try to explain this one (RDP). With Remote Desktop, you can use distant computer resources through your home/office computer. You can access this distant computer with an RDP app or even with a simple web-browser and appropriate authentication. When you are once in control of the distant computer, you can run applications, browse web-pages or even watch movies on it. The used computing power is provided by the distant computer and your computer is used only for connection and requests to the above. For example, you can run really heavy and resource demanding applications on the distant computer and you will be able to start and work with those applications, even from your netbook. `Cloud Hosting`` is the web-hosting service already described in this forum. ``Cloud Storage`` is a service, which is giving you the ability to store your data on a multiple interconnected distant servers. The ``Cloud Storage`` service is an important part from the previous two services, but it could be ordered as stand alone service too.

So basically cloud hosting is the service, as mentioned by max in this thread, he also explained about cloud storage mainly where data is stored. While Cloud Computing is explained as internet computing. This implies that you do not install any of the software programs or upgrade your PCs hardware for it to comply with those programs. The internet would take care of both the software as well as the hardware. Since both of them are virtual, this computing is referred to as, within the cloud or Cloud computing.

Hey Sheila, the internet connection could not take care of the processes described in your post. All requests to the distant server are delivered through your internet connection, but every process is being executed on the distant server. For example you can run music application on the distant server by simply using your netbook. Your request will be delivered to the distant machine by your internet connection and it will be executed. You can view the progress and the results of the requested processes on your connected device. You must have an internet connection to operate with all cloud resources, but thats all regarding the internet connection in this case. Also the fact, that a certain service is a ``virtual``, doesn`t always make that service part of the cloud services. This is a hard for explanation and understanding subject, so don`t worry about your confusion in the above post. Please refer to my previous post and ask, if there is something unclear.

To make it clear for Sheila, "Cloud Computing" is just the same as taking over someones PC elsewhere...for example, me from the Philippines, can control the desktop PC from Boy1 that resides in Netherlands. Thanks to "Cloud Computing" I can store or use the resources of the PC in the Netherlands that I cannot normally do in my netbook here in the Philippines, basically "Cloud Computing " makes every PC connectible to each other possible and also you can store files in the PC from the Netherlands

Also Max, is Dropbox one example of Cloud Storage?

Yes, ``Dropbox`` is part of the cloud services.

Indeed, I have been using Dropbox for quite some time now and I find it very useful especially when you are using RDP, you can transfer huge files from one PC to another without registering or purchasing file transfer softwares such as yousendit. Before I was using Yousendit, it was useful and user friendly but it has a limitation on how big your files can be transferred.